Since I’ve been blogging I’ve been doing New Year’s Resolutions posts, and I have to admit, I’ve not been great at sticking to them. This doesn’t stop me wanting to do another one though. I always feel so positive and hopeful at the start of the year and I want to make the most of those feelings while they last! Even if (again) I don’t stick to my resolutions, I’d like to have a go at them.
From last years ones, I’d say I kept to two – to keep blogging (clearly I’m still here) and to manage my time better. I wouldn’t say I’ve consistently done that one but I’ve had a good stab at it. I’ve spent a lot less time mindlessly scrolling through Twitter/general internet pages. I feel like the lack of Twitter interaction isn’t always great for my blog as I miss out connecting with people and getting involved, but I want to spend more time in the real world, with my family and with my work, so that’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make.
As for the other two – get fit (ha!) and finish my 2nd/3rd drafts – they have just not happened. Although I bought a jogging pushchair with the intent of running with Little Moore, he’s been too small for it so far, and with all the sleep deprivation I’ve not been able to drag myself up early to go running on my own. While it’s still something I’d like to get into this year, as I do enjoy running, I’m not going to pressure myself and just see how it goes.
With the writing – I did do a lot of editing on my first draft of my first completed novel, but not as much as I wanted to. Part of that was lack of time – like most new mums, I thought I’d have more time on maternity to write while my baby slept peacefully in his cot (HA!) But also I really struggled with editing and decided in the end to put this one aside for now. It needs a lot of work – maybe starting from scratch or maybe coming back to it when I’ve got more experience. I’m not giving up on it, just putting it aside to work on something else for now.
But enough of the past. Onto this year’s resolutions:
- Write Everyday – I did this towards the end of the year, just a page in a notebook so that I had something done each day. That’s my small writing aim for this year. Ideally Id like to spend at least half an hour in my study each day, writing/editing, planning or something creative. And on the large scale, I’d like to finish my first draft of the project I started for NaNoWriMo and enter some writing competitions.
- Keep Reading and Blogging – I think these are both good for my writing ambitions, and they’re something I enjoy doing. I’m trying to set up a bit of a blog schedule so I might post less frequently but with better content. Fingers crossed, anyway!
- Save Money – Like a lot of mid-twenty-somethings, I’m currently renting a house and saving for a deposit to buy one. I couldn’t save much last year while being on maternity leave so I’d like to try and squirrel some bits away now I’m working again.
- Do Nice Family Things – This is a bit generic but I want to spend quality time with Nathan and Little Moore, as well as our extended family. Day trips together, going for walks and playing games, and also visiting his family more (as they live further away) and spending more time with my sisters. One of the younger ones will be off to uni next year so I need to squeeze in as much quality time as I can before she goes!
- Eat Nice Food – Instead of a generic get fit or eat healthy resolution, I want to eat well this year. I want to spend less money in crappy chain restaurants. If we’re eating out, it should be a treat and it should be somewhere nice. I want to try find places to buy better quality food at home, and try new dishes. We’ve been eating less meat recently so I want to experiment with more creative vegetarian cusine.
Like I said, I’m not holding myself religiously to any of these. I just like having some general aims to start the year with. They may or may not hold up but at least for now, they’re making me feel positive and spurring me into action!
Whatever you’re aiming to do with yourself this year, I hope you have a wonderful one.